Monday, June 16, 2014

LANCE ZIERLEIN, TEXAS RADIO HALL OF FAME BY LM


LANCE ZIERLEIN, TEXAS RADIO HALL OF FAME
Written By: LM
6.16.2014

Tuesday, 6.10.2014, Lance Zierlein tweeted he was glad to be nominated for the Texas Radio Hall Of Fame with a group of high profile personalities from Houston.

I've heard of this organization but never really paid it any attention however upon reading Lance's tweet, I was interested to see
  • Who's In this Hall of Fame
  • What's the Criteria to become a voter
  • Headquarters
  • Organizational Structure
WHO'S IN

Outside of 97.9 The Boxx Mad Hatta, there were few names I recognized.  Off the back, it was odd not seeing any Current Houston Sports Talk Host. Pro Tip: when listing personalities in a state the size of Texas, include their Call Letters or at least their city.

PAST INDUCTEES

HOW TO BECOME A VOTER

This bullet point makes me question the award.  According to the Website, all you have to do to become a lifetime voter is pay a $25 fee. Basically, if we want more Houston personalities in, we have to pay a small fee.   I am not sure if the voters are the last say or if the process has another decision level.    On the surface, the process seems straight forward and contingent on a small fee.

HEADQUARTERS

I was a little puzzled when I found out the Operations Manager Josh Holstead (Rowdy Yates) is based in Oklahoma.  As a Media Watcher (HMW), I do understand personalities explore non local opportunities.  All I can say, if am researching a Texas Award, when I visit the organizations website, everything must be Texas. Silly as it may seem, I sort of dig people in Texas overseeing Texas Talent.



WRAP IT UP

As a radio junky who write about Houston personalities, I love the Texas Hall of Fame Concept but I do have process questions about the selection process.

After realizing John Holstead (Rowdy Yates) was an KILT employee, I reached out to Lance Zierlein 790 Morning Host (Proper Gentlemen of Sports).  I asked Lance if he knew Mr. Holstead. What could he share with me about the Texas Hall of Fame and how do feel about his nomination.  Below is Lance's reply

I knew him from when I first started radio.  He was at KILT doing afternoons when I was at 610 doing mornings. I haven't seen him for years. I wasn't even sure if he remembered me. 

I know the organization is comprised of radio industry vets but that is about all I know about them as a whole. I do know they have been doing this for awhile. 

It is a great honor for me to even be considered with some of the people who are nominated. I don't consider myself a radio legend by any stretch of the word but there are some on this year's list. I'm proud of being included with this group. 

I think Houston Sports Community should become more familiar with this organization.

OUT
LM

No comments: