Friday, June 13, 2014

The Best Blog Ever Written About Soccer Period, almost By Angelo Lawford



Written by: Angelo Lawford
The Best Blog Ever Written About Soccer Period, almost:

Man, can I "real talk" you? This was almost the worst blog I ever wrote. My almost apologies for that.

If you see the junk pile of notes that I have of everything that I wanted to discuss. I was ready to go with quotes that I got from both Craig Shelton and Lance Zierlein, whom I thank sincerely by the way, so that I could insert a line here and there, to add a little credibility to a World Cup blog that was going to highlight some ideas in how to further spur interest in the sport once the World Cup has come and gone, as well as offer a certain amount of analysis as to what one should expect to see throughout this month long soccer showcase.

I was ready to right the best damn pre World Cup blog ever written. But I can't even use those quotes or even begin to write that blog, because ultimately, I've written that blog already and I'm tired of the same blog begging you and the media to give soccer a try. Soccer doesn't need that and that's not what I want to do.
What I want to do is simple really. And if you allow me the opportunity to do what I want to do, when I press send, I will be okay with what I wrote, no matter what you think of it.

It starts with a question. How can you live in a city whose Major League Soccer franchise in the Houston Dynamo, has two current players in Brazil, ready to represent their respective countries on the biggest stage in all of sports, and you don't even know who they are? No one has told you their names. I can't pretend like that's okay or that it doesn't bother me. I think it's absolutely absurd.

So let me tell you their names and I'm gone. Dynamo Captain Brad Davis, will dawn the red, white and blue for Jurgen Klinsmann and the USMNT and Oscar "Boniek" Garcia, will play a prominent role for his country, of Honduras, in this upcoming World Cup campaign.

That's what you really need to know.

You don't need X's and O's and formation analysis or who is the favorite or who is the dark horse pick to win the World Cup. You just simply need to know, that there will be some local guys that you can root for and bask in the glory with as they sweat, bleed and cry for their countries and that any game you see, could be potentially be the best damn game you've ever seen. Even if all you have in you is this one month showcase.

I would hope for more than a month though. But I'll take from you whatever I can get. (I had to beg a little, I am who I am.)

But this is it really. I just wanted you to know their names. They deserve it.

Angelo Lawford
HMW


No comments: