Sunday, July 10, 2011

GREG KOCH AND BRIEN STRAW (SR610) - THE BREAK-UP - LM

7-10-2011



GREG KOCH AND BRIEN STRAW (SR610) - THE BREAK-UP



This is one of those articles where Gavin Spittle can seriously burn my ass.  I am taking a huge gamble writing this article in the midst of vacation season.  The last time I heard Greg and Brien on air was about two to 3 weekends ago.  They had a disagreement on air and since then, I have not heard them together.  It gets tricky because we are in the middle of a dry time in Houston (Sports) therefore institutional radio personalities are taking vacation. In other words, I have been hearing much more of Brien and Greg however I don't hear them together on the weekends.

Let me begin by saying, I am on record saying that Greg and Brien is one of my favorite shows on Sports Radio 610.  The guys have natural chemistry on air together but tend to disagree often.  Newsflash, the audience like that however if Brien is about to shank Greg then I am with Gavin for splitting them up.

I have been a professional radio listener for almost 14 years now in various formats and I have heard it all.  Personalities faking disagreements, one host purposely opposing the other for the sake of ratings, host who agree on everything (I dislike) with that being said, there has only been three shows in my lifetime where I can say "these guys have fundamental differences".  Josh and Rich (the beginning), Rich and Matt (some valid mostly orchestrated), Greg and Brien.

Greg and Brien may be the two most bull headed personalities at 610 (I love it) because they will not back down from their point.  These guys go in although it could be detrimental to their broadcasting career with the "DEAD SILENCE" but it's fun.  We get so much lollipop and gobbaly goop that we are texting and emailing the shows asking if anyone is injured when we hear two grown men disagree.

Lately both guys have been getting their work in with various shows due to vacation in what I believe the inability to work together but there is something else bigger happening that only I as a professional radio listener can understand.  Brien and Greg have ideological differences.  Oh yes, HMW is going there.  We are hearing an old fashion Liberal (Straw) versus Conservative (Koch) fight.


I have been listening to these guys for a while now and then one thing I have picked up, these guys have fundamental differences.  You may say, many of your friends don't agree with your politics but it don't disrupt our sports friendship.  In normal circumstances I would agree with this line of thinking but in the today's world of 24 hour sporting news cycle, all types of issues arise which causes personalities to venture into some of those social areas.  On numerous occasions I have heard these lock up about sports and social issues but normally they end the show on good terms.  However in this situation, it was at the end of the show and this was the last we heard of the two together.


FIGHTS


One of the first epic fights on air was the Full Back Position.  Greg and Brien disagreed on the value of the Full Back position.  HMW only caught a portion of the argument but it got pretty heated before Lesbian Craig call to calm them down.


FULLBACK FIGHT [AUDIO]


Trust me there were other fights but this next one was probably the dagger of the guys being partnered.


LAST FIGHT [AUDIO]


When you combine bull head attitudes with ideological differences, you get great radio. The BREAK UP could be Gavin maximizing talent around the station by splitting them up for a couple of weeks and helping out other slots.  Strangely, I prefer them together however them apart allows both to grow. I am seeing range in both guys.  Greg is showing he can go from SERIOUS RADIO in the Drive Time slot to freaky talk on the After Hours Show.  Brien on the other hand is virtually proving by HMW standards he could be a viable personality.  


WRAP IT UP






I could be totally wrong and this could be a situation of vacation and Gavin having the resources to allocate them.  Whatever the case may be, both Greg and Brien's stock is on the rise.  On a serious note, I think most come at Brien via text and phones because he comes off as bitchy but if you really listen to his takes, he's solid.  A little disappointed at Brien for the Dead Air when he gets upset but I do understand.  If a person is that upset in a talk format with the FCC on your ass, it takes alot to bite your tongue when you are upset before saying something that may result in fines.  


Greg on the other hand has a built in advantage because he's a "local boy" and he played in the NFL.   Greg gets bitchy as well if you disagree with him, he will commonly over-talk you or raise his voice as.  Greg has a competitive attitude and this is not only with Brien but this is with Josh Innes and even the NBA rogue official.  This may be cool with HMW but most image conscious sponsors will run from host they deem as a firecracker.


Brien, if ever partnered with Greg again has to realize Greg has the natural advantage.  I am not saying it's fair by no means but that's reality and   Greg is an NFL figure head for KILT but he also honestly critique the local teams.  I can see this being a professional radio listener but the average Joe is going to side with Greg when they get into disagreements.


OUT























LM
HMW
Email: hmw_lm@yahoo.com
Twitter: HMW_CREEPS
Facebook Search: Hmw Shelton & Craig Shelton and join both

Follow the HMW family of CREEPS on Twitter @: @LesbianCraig   @SportsMediaLM 

PLEASE JOIN US SUNDAYS 5P-6P ON KCOH 1430AM FOR "THE CUT" W/CRAIG "LESBO" SHELTON & CO-HOST, FORMER NFL-DB, MARCUS COLEMAN.

GET READY FOR HIGH ENERGY, GREAT CONVERSATION, THE COOLEST MUSIC & ALL OF YOU!!!

CALL IN @: 713-526-1430 
STREAM @: http://www.kcohradio.com

PRODUCED BY: HMW

No comments: