Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Why Gow is surging


Written by: Lamont



This morning I fired up Twitter only to be tagged in an article by Jermaine Every.  Jermaine explained why Gow Media’s lineup is dominating.

I thought it was a fair comprehensive articl.  I can’t front, thought it was a little weak writing an article about your own organization’s success but not a game-breaker.  I am not wyling because I know Jermaine and he comes from a good place, but in his article, there was one key omission.

I’ve been tracking ESPN’s ratings for a while and wanted to see if my theory would hold up.


Sports Map Launched in October 2017.  It’s my belief, Sports Map is the reason the station is enjoying ratings success, the correlation aligns.  Of course, some will say, the station didn’t see a turn in the ratings until January or February but it makes perfect sense.  October is prime holiday season.  Basically, anything from October – January is fodder, it’s holiday season.

ESPN 97.5 has seen an uptick in ratings station-wide from the beginning of the year.  It’s clear that Sports Map is bringing in new listeners (Personal People Meters).

Sports Map is promoted with total “buy-in” from the staff writers.  Seriously, you can’t go 30 minutes on 97.5 without hearing about Sports Map.    From my vantage point, it seems like the on-air talent mocks the fact they have to write but whatevs.

Sports Map and the Shows are circular promoting feeding off of each other.  All props to Fred Faour for orchestrating an unlikely monster but hell he was only the Sports Editor for the Houston Chronicle so he sort of knows what his target audience wants.

Honestly, I have not hugged the site because it’s not 100% with a few technical kinks that needs to be ironed out.  I don’t want to critique an unfinished product but I can definitely see a direct correlation between Sports Map and the the rise of ESPN 975.

Lastly, we will learn how strong Sports Map really is during the upcoming football season.  

No comments: