Thursday, July 18, 2019

Rich Lord and Mike Meltzer's departures can signal more changes to come with other stations

Written By: LM



After I heard the news of Rich Lord and Mike Meltzer's firing, I was like "whoa". Those are some heavy names in the Houston market.

Typically, when big names are fired in Houston, everyone tweet sad shit or their favorite memories of the host.  I rather not do that because I know the country club atmosphere of Houston local sports radio.

Country Club -  If you are a name in Houston and usually white, you will easily get a job.  The talent in Houston is recycled. Rarely is there anything new, we will just hear them on another station.

Instead of singing a swan song, I wanted to approach this from another direction.  Recently, Paul Gallant, Mike Meltzer and Rich Lord were let got by Sports Radio 610.  No matter how I feel about them, they are Huge names locally.

All of these sub-par talents on other stations should be on alert.  They can easily be replaced by either one of these guys or even future fires.

If I'm a marginal radio personality, I would keep my head on a swivel

There is also option B, all three guys will fade in Houston

  • Mike Meltzer recently finished law school and could easily go make "fuck you" money
  • Rich Lord is like 60 something and could just fade away into retirement
  • Paul Gallant could easily go back to Florida or Boston

I can see all three guys replacing a few talents from other stations.

No comments: