Wednesday, October 8, 2014

JEROME SOLOMON SAYS "GOOD BYE" TO RADIO BY LM


JEROME SOLOMON SAYS "GOOD BYE" TO RADIO
Written By: LM
10.8.2014

Monday, Houston Chronicle's Columnist Jerome Solomon announced his departure from radio.  I reached out to Jerome for a few words.

JEROME SOLOMON:
JEROME SOLOMON
With so much going on, the midday slot (and 40-mile drive) was eating up too much of my. I managed it, but felt more and more I needed a day off to go to the Texans locker room, or some other press conference that was taking place during the show.

I would love to have scaled back to do the show four days a week, and had hoped we could arrange that, but the station didn’t want a part-time host.

I like doing radio, but until it pays somewhere near what I make at my real job, it will always be a side gig.

It was a lot of fun working with Dave. I wouldn’t say we had the best show in town, but “The Rush” was definitely the most unique, and from the feedback I got all over town, listeners enjoyed it and thought it was fun.

We didn’t take ourselves too seriously. We figured people don’t want too much of the nuts-and-bolts stuff in the middle of the day. They’d rather be entertained. Most people don’t care for three 30-minute conversations a week on how many snaps Jonathan Grimes will or should get, or who the third string nose tackle should be.

I hope I’m never asked to do that kind of radio. Sounds too much like work. If you want my more serious side, buy the Chronicle.

Of course I’ll get back into radio if presented with the right opportunity. You never know, it might be at 97.5. It’s a crazy business.



1 comment:

Rich Bruklis said...

Jerome should have pimped Trager Grills or Ryan Tannehill to supplement his radio compensation.

Sorry to see him go.