Thursday, February 15, 2018

Hip Hop has officially Joined Rock and R&B, thanks Mumble Rap




Hip Hop is my favorite music genre.  Although Grand Master Flash and the Furious Five’s The Message was the Hot Song in the early 80s, my Hip Hop begins with Run DMC’s King Of Rock.
Hip Hop as I knew it, is no more.  Mumble Rap has taken over the genre.  There are still some elements of regular Hip Hop but Mumble Rap is what’s hot now. 

Mumble Rap sounds like a studio album mastered at a concert, the sound is distorted to me.  If you are a fan of HIP HOP, you know there are differently elements of Hip Hop.   Style and Fashion is not one of the main tenants but over the years, it’s been incorporated.   These cats wearing tight ass clothes, is not the business, this is Hip Hop not a promo for Yeast Infections.



Rock and R&B

After Rock enjoyed the likes of Little Richard, Elvis, Beetles, Led Zeppelin and many more, we were hit with Glam Rock.  Rock and Roll purist hate Glam Rock.  Glam is pretty much the Late 70s and 80s Big Hair Bands.  Some Rock fans even dislike Grunge.  I’ve heard Rock fans say Grunge killed the guitarists.

In R&B, we enjoyed the sounds of Motown, Delfonics, Manhattans, OJays just to name a few. R&B borned a mutation of music called DISCO.   Disco was so bad to R&B and Rock, there were actual events calling for the destruction of Disco albums.

HIP HOP

In an odd twist, I’ve seen cases made, HIP HOP is a derivative of Disco.  Nevertheless, Hip Hop has finally arrived to a place where a sound that’s dominating it’s genre is hated by Old Heads. 
I hear so many people express their disdain with this new mumble rap and I agree, I hate this shit.   We are experiencing almost a 6-year run of this version of Hip Hop but there’s light at the end of the tunnel.

THE LIGHT

In both cases of Rock and R&B being invaded by mutations of their genre, they eventually reclaimed it.  After rock was hit with Glam, they bounced back with bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Guns and Roses, to name a few.   R&B bounced back with a slew of Boy Bands and male and female solo artists.  In the end, I believe Hip Hop will come back to form as more and more people express their hatred for this new sound.


Of course, there will be some who will to throw out the tired lazy take, “you are old and your parents didn’t like what you were listening too back then”.  I hear this take so often but they fail to say, my parents didn’t listen to rap, they were listening to a whole different genre so yes, I would expect my parents to say Hip Hop sucks.  Hip Hop has a specific formula and this current sound, is breaking the rules

No comments: