Monday, February 19, 2018

Why are there more former NFL Players in Local Sports Radio than MLB AND NBA?

Written By: Lamont



Living in Houston and being a Sports Talk Radio slut, I've always wondered why they are there more NFL players in local sports talk radio than any other sport.

Locally, the first professional players I recall in reoccurring roles were ND Kalu then Greg Koch and the rest is history.

I have always wondered why are there more NFL Players in local radio than MLB and NBA players.  I took to Twitter and received a some interesting answers.

Some feel that NFL Players are more popular than MLB and NFL players.  I am not sure I totally buy that because the NFL players I hear in local sports radio all over the country are not exactly household names.  The NFL players I hear on radio are lower to mid level players.

Another response I received, Football is King in Texas.  Although I'm in Houston, the topic was not about Houston specifically.  Albeit, I am not sure "football is King in Texas" refers to the Cowboys and Texans.   Texans nor the Cowboys has had sustainable playoff success and I believe most non Texans who reference football being "king" are talking about "Friday Night Lights" High School Ball.

I appreciated the feedback but I have my own thoughts.  I believe we see more NFL Players in Local Radio because they do not get paid as much as MLB and NBA Players.  A mid level NBA or MLB can get a contract that could set them up for life without work post playing career.  I am not saying NFL players are poor or ignorant with their finances but it feels like they have to work post career.  Again, I am not talking about marquee players.

On a local level, I believe Sports Radio 610 and Sports Talk 790 feel they have to have professional athletes for bragging rights.  There was a time, I felt it was the best approach but I have come realize, just because they are professionals, does not mean they know other sports or hell even other positions in their game.  I have heard some shit that was totally wrong within their profession.

No comments: