Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Radio personalities you should trust with baseball

Written by: Lamont





It's that time of year, baseball season.  Over the last 3 years (4 seasons), the Astros have grabbed local attention especially with their World Series win.  

Although I hate losing, you can learn a lot about personalities during losing seasons.  When the Astros sucked most personalities would not talk about them nor MLB outside of slim few.  I remembered the people who still tried talk about them or baseball in general.  Now that the Astros are beasting everyone has become an expert, similar March Madness.   Most personalities do not give a flying crap about college ball but in March, they are all experts.

Locally, there are a few on-air personalities I trust with baseball.  I love to learn, and if you can tell me something I didn't know, I will inhale that shit like coke, I don't do coke. 

Below are the guys I lean on in Sports Talk for baseball.

Patrick Creighton

Patrick Creighton loves baseball.  I can remember his time with Sports Radio 610 trying to talk the Astros and baseball, he couldn't because the Astros were bad and I got the sense he was steered away.  Patrick is a die-hard New York Mets fan.  It wasn't until he jumped ship to 94.1 Sports Map, I really saw his range in baseball.  Not only do he talk baseball on his show but he helps me on Twitter with various nuances of the game. 


I remember a few years ago, I said Pallilo was the best baseball personality and Dustin Bennett said "Granato is solid too".  At that point I started paying more attention to Granato's baseball takes. He knows his shit.  Once you get to know Granato's personality and learn how to weave out the bullshit, he's a strong resource for baseball and....GOLF.


Before I really plaid attention to any of the other guys, Matt was my GoTo.   Since Matt's return to Houston, I always remembered him trying to squeeze in some Astros.  As the Astros got better and I broadened my scope, I didn't rely on him as much but he helped me a ton.


Josh is the anomaly. He didn't give one flat fuck about the Astros when he was at 610.  He clowned them as everyone did but he always talked about baseball, specifically the Cardinals. He knows his baseball and to be honest, I think that is his sports strength.   Once he get started on the Astros, he will go all the way in and its not obscure stats.


It's simple, Charlie is Baseball Savant.  Charlie Pallilo's baseball knowledge is sexual.  When I listen to to Charlie from April-October, I feel like a freshmen in college in advance physics.  Not only is Charlie knowledgeable, his callers are just as strong.  I have always said, Sports Talk is the mirror effect, what you put in, is what you get out.  There's not going to be a whole bunch of bullshit on Charlie's Show. To be honest, it's sort of intimidating if you are a novice baseball or Astros fan.

After I listen to all of the regurgitated Astros, I rely on Charlie to make sense of it all.  Charlie is clearly the strongest baseball mind in this city and it's not even close.


No comments: