Thursday, June 7, 2018

What's up in local radio, what's hot in Houston!

Written by: Lamont

Periodically, I like to give a run down on the market as a whole.  Local sports radio is trending upwards.  For a while, radio has been bleak but it looks like things are getting better, in June of all months.

John Granato and Lance Zierlein w/ Del

Out of the gate, The Bench is the best sports show in Houston.  The water has met it's level and John and Lance have found their chemistry again.  It's a fun show.. Lance is still a Ball Hog, John still pimps the Dallas "hate" and Del is Florence from the Jeffersons.  The chemistry is off the charts, they have their disagreements in addition to doing their fanboy shit, I like it. What I like most about the show are the Del arguments between he and John.  Lance is Weezy, John is George and Del is Florence; they could literally brand this show The Jeffersons.

When there is relevant football or basketball to hit, you have Lance, with baseball you have Granato and with college you have Del and Lance.

Seth Payne, Mike Meltser and Paul Gallant

It has only been a week, but I am feeling this new version of Mad.   I like Paul and I am happy he got his shot.  The chemistry is not quite there as it feels like Paul is trying to to find his way into the conversation.  In other words, at times while I'm riding to work, I forget he's a part of the show because there are extended periods without hearing him. I fully expect the timing issues to be worked out but I like what I'm hearing.

Fred Faour and AJ Hoffman 

They are kicking ass in  the ratings.  It's the only "must listen" to show for me in the city.   I listen from start to finish for 3 hours and they hit a lot of topics and are not shy about leaving sports.  Hell, I think they purposely go away from sports.  For as much as their liberalism bleeds through the airwaves, I love listening to them.

THE REST

Josh Innes Show

Although I like Josh Innes and Jim Mudd, the show is too SocioPolitical.   It's the sports version of Michael Berry and it's painfully obvious that they are pandering to the Right Wingers although they go out of that way to say they are not.  Jim Mudd has been reduced to a laugh track.  I do not believe Jilly brings anything to the show at all.  It's a Fan Show.   If something happens in town that everyone are afraid to say, I will listen to Josh because I know he will say it.

Fred Davis, Landry Locker and John Lopez

I have been listening to In the Loop, as stated in an article, ITL has a pulse again.  Surprisingly,  Lopez's giggles has been reduced.  They need to interact with social media instead of lip lusting with each other for 4 hours. 

Patrick Creighton

I like Patrick because he's mad opinionated and a bleeding liberal.  I love to mix it up with him on his overly passionate views on social issues and he's damn good with baseball.  His takes are not without references, if you come at him, he's locked and loaded w/ back up.




No comments: