Thursday, November 15, 2018

Lamont's Top 5 Shows

Written By: LM



Periodically, I like to let people know what local radio shows I am listening to.  There's no science to it, it's simply a range of what I must hear for the duration of the show, down to having a show on for noise.


1. The Blitz - Hands down, it's a show I must listen to in it's entirety daily.  The show is the antithesis of "formula radio".  They do what they want and if you don't like it, eff you.  Fred Faour and AJ Hoffman  has one of the best mixtures of sports to non-sports ratio locally.  As long as you don't call Fred a Cunt or make shit personal, you can disagree with them and the slate is clean the next day.  The only problems I have with the Blitz,  the ratings may have went to their head and they beat their chest a little harder.  One of the few negatives about their show are their political takes.  I believe AJ is slanted while Fred is less slanted but willing to consider all views.

2. Mad Radio - When I wake up, I find myself tuning in a lot to Mad Radio more than I'm willing to admit.  Mad Radio receives a solid good hour (6-7) before I start "spot" listening.  Mad Radio is 610 so they are deep formula radio, they will not deviate from old style radio.  I like Seth Payne and Paul Gallant but Mike Meltser is a different kind of cat. Mike has never said anything wrong to me but I still cannot get over him bringing up Gavin Spittle during the beef with Josh Innes.  Mad Radio is a fun and highly intellectual show but they are not as interactive as I would like; they much rather talk to each other.

3. The Bench -  Honestly, John Granato and Lance Zierlein can be two because I wake up in the am waiting for 7 AM.  John and Lance are very interactive.  What I have realized, you can appreciate their style once you realize John's persona.  John and lance are probably the best in covering College Football. They are so good in college football, I sort of hate them for it.  If John and LZ, does not provide the college you need, they have a College Sports Nerd as a producer who's equally versed on their level.  The Bench still has a tad of Secret Society Radio where they are talking to a select audience.  John and Lance go through intervals where I have no idea of what they are talking about.  I am not a fan of their Monologue/Introduction segment.  I understand being different from the market but some of the topics they lead with can be a buzz kill

4. Sean Salisbury Show -  I love Sean's "eff you, pay me" tenacity .  Sean is all energy and he merges his personal professional experiences to today's world of sports.  I like the way Sean has structured his show with a trailing question.  He leads off his show with a question of the day while he discuss the major issues.  At any given point of his show, he will receive feedback on his question.  There are a few times I have heard him put Michael Connor on Chill Mode and allowed the caller to state their point.  If you do not know, Michael Connor (Cohost) is quick to go into Fan Mode and start screaming.

5. In the Loop - I really like  In the Loop's energy.  They have lots of fun and John Lopez is more entertaining.  John Lopez is keeping up with the Young Bucks.  They are formula like Mad Radio but they seem to have much more fun and relax in their language.  In the Loop is the one show on 610 that will not shade their opinions on the Texans.   You are not going to hear them go in on the Texans one day, and apologizing the next.  They are interactive with callers and texts but ignore Twitter.  This show has potential to be special if they can put it all together, I just can't put my finger on it

No comments: