Thursday, May 24, 2018

610 Shake Up

Written By: Lamont



Out of the box,  Sports Radio 610 reorganized

  • Paul Gallant is going to the mornings
  • Landry Locker is going to the mid day show with John Lopez
  • Fred Davis is going to the mid day show with John Lopez
  • Cody Stoots is out
  • 610 Night show will be a Gumbo of local talent
My Thoughts

MAD Radio needed Paul Gallant or hell even Mona Lisa for that matter.  That show needed someone to match Seth Payne's energy, Mike Meltser is not getting it done.  If you are a hardcore listener, it's nothing more than the Texans Post Game.  Paul provided that shot in the arm to Texans Post game shows.   Seth and Mike, while cerebral are not interactive with fans.   The last few months they've up'd their call volume but it still feels awkward.   Their calls feel like Fan Feedback (takes with no interaction) little to no dialogue.  To be honest, I think both are swell guys but they just don't jive with their audience.  They are locked into their own little safe bubble of debating with each other and using big SAT words.

In comes Paul.  I have busted Paul's balls for years, I have seen this kid actively go out and create his name.  He started the whole "Most interactive show"  that some in the market have piggy backed with shits like "shortest wait times".  I have also seen him reach out to Houston Rappers and tried his best to learn the rap culture of this city.  He is interactive and very honest in his sports takes no matter how wild they may be.

There are rumblings that Paul is there to replace Mike who's in Law School.   While this may be true, I've listened to Mike for nearly a decade, that dude loves sports, I can't see him leaving Sports Talk.

I don't think it's enough to overcome John Granato, Lance Zierlein and Josh Innes.  610 is too formulaic but it will be interesting for about a WEEK.  

As far as Fred and Landry joining Lopez; I really hope they have enough energy to make that slot somewhat entertaining.   I cut for Landry and Fred but both are into themselves talk.    I will give it a listen,  but I have preconceived notions of what it will be.  

Wrap Up

At first I thought it was cost cutting with 610 being under new management but it seems like they have only reallocated resources.  I believe their ratings slump is forcing them to look at their line up differently.






No comments: